Some terms you see on this site may be unfamiliar – “nonbinary” or “gender-nonconforming,” for instance. On a bigger scale, you may be confused as to why we believe gender representation is necessary. You may not understand why you’re hearing about pronouns all of a sudden, or why there’s this big fuss about gender representation.
We understand that it can take time to wrap your head around these topics. With this in mind, we’ve provided you with an array of resources you can browse to have all your questions answered and form opinions of your own. We appreciate your curiosity and willingness to learn!
Understanding Gender and Pronouns
- Understanding Gender | genderspectrum.org – If you’re looking for a good introduction to the evolving concept of gender, look no further!
- Types of gender identity: Types and definitions | medicalnewstoday.com – Gender is a spectrum, therefore there could technically be an infinite number of genders, however, this Medical News Today glossary covers many more popular terms.
- Why Gender Pronouns Matter | Seventeen | YouTube – Why are they so important? Hear people who use unconventional pronouns explain why.
- Understanding Non-Binary People: How to Be Respectful and Supportive | National Center for Transgender Equality – This article explains what it means to be nonbinary*, guiding you on how to respect nonbinary people.
- The history of nonbinary genders is longer than you know | The Tempest – This article delves into the fascinating history of nonbinary genders, defying the assumption that nonbinary genders are newfangled fads made up for attention.
- A brief history of gender neutral pronouns | BBC News – Are these pronouns just new trends as well? Short answer: no. Long answer: read this article!
- A Guide to Understanding Gender Identity Terms | NPR – This is a simply-worded glossary great for people looking to understand many terms related to gender identity.
Understanding Marginalized Genders in Art
- Where Are the Women? With Jemima Kirke | Unlock Art | Tate – YouTube If you don’t feel like reading another article, check out this wonderful video from Tate that introduces you to history’s treatment of women artists.
- Nochlin-Linda_Why-Have-There-Been-No-Great-Women-Artists.pdf | (upenn.edu) Linda Nochlin’s “Why Have There Been No Great Women Artists” is a famous essay, originally published in the 70s, that proved to be a trailblazing expose of women’s inequality in the arts.
- What the Data Tell Us About the Challenges Facing Female Artists of Color | Hyperallergic – Oftentimes, women of color are left out of studies on sexism in art history. Many scholars stick to studying white European women. This writing helps bring to light the intersectional history of race, gender and art.
- Queer women and non-binary artists who fashioned their own style | Art UK – Do you wish more people explored a wider range of gender in art? What about agender, gender-nonconforming, transmasculine or pangender people? Unfortunately, there have been less studies devoted to these artists, but this article will hopefully satisfy a part of your curiosity.
- Queer Art History – This website provides a multitude of resources that dive into the LGTBQ+ side of art history. Bonus: you can also submit your own work to be added to the archives of Queer Art History!